Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.Proverbs 20:1
Okay, Proverbs is talking about excessive drinking, right? Or being led astray by wine or beer. So as long as I’m not excessive or led astray, it’s okay, right?
Besides, the psalmist says that God made wine to gladden the heart (Psalm 104:15). And Jesus made gallons of wine for a wedding (John 2:1-10), and Paul told Timothy (a pastor) to have some wine to help settle his stomach (1 Timothy 5:23).
We can answer yes to all of the above, but our text still speaks a healthy warning.
Frankly, Proverbs doesn’t have many positive things to say about drinking. The writer wants us to take its dangers seriously.
It’s easy to buy into a culture that says drinking will help you fit in, feel less stressed, and attract better-looking partners. It’s not hard to close our eyes to the deceptions.
Alcohol can affect how we live out our values. It can lead to loose words, hurtful actions, dangerous driving, and broken relationships. When it takes control of our lives, it “bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.”
Wisdom includes being honest. God’s Word for you today may be to look closely at how you or someone you care about is handling alcohol. It’s foolish to play with vipers.
ATTENTION: NO CHURCH SERVICES OR SABBATH SCHOOL AT THE CHUCH
*Church Services will be held at the Oaks Retreat Center. Please see below for address and program.
Down The Road
- North-East Tennessee Camp Meeting: It’s that time of year again for our Annual NE TN Camp Meeting. Join us tonight September 16 at 7:30 pm and tomorrow morning at the Oaks Retreat Center to worship God and to fellowship with others. The address is 267 Camp Josuha LN Greeneville, TN 37743. You can download the program below.
- NOTE: For Camp Meeting luncheon/POTLUCK, bring your food prepared in a cooler or warming bag, water bottles, and lawn chairs. Dress is casual.
Camp Meeting Program
- MID-WEEK BIBLE STUDY: Wednesday night prayer meeting will be on ZOOM at 7:00 p.m.. We will be studying Mark 6. Phone Number 1-646-931-3860, meeting ID number is 781 549 3992, and passcode is 37743 for those using a home/cell phone.
- AYA Vesper for, September 24, 6:30 p.m. will feature AFM Missionaries working in a Muslim country. Plan to hear stories of Providential leading and mission adventures. Support mission frontline work through your presence, prayers, and offering.
- SAVE THE DATE! FOOD, AND VOLLEYBALL!: The senior class of 2023 is hosting AYA on October 1 at 6:30 P.M. at the school gym. After sundown, they will sell baked ziti (vegan option available) and then play volleyball. This is a fundraiser for their senior class trip.
- GCC Women’s Ministry Day Retreat: October 29, 2022, | Occasions on the Square | 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Cost: $15/person. Retreat includes lunch, worship, and fellowship. Please visit https://www.gccsda.com/events/100767 to register and find more information. Registration deadline October 6.
- ENGAGE LEADERSHIP CONVENTION: September 30 – October 1, 2022. New in Ministry? Veteran Youth Worker? Come to our annual training event for Youth Leaders, Youth in Ministry (ages 16+) and Pastors Breakout sessions offered for everyone at Cohutta Springs. Keynote Speaker – Andres Palacios, Associate Pastor of the Calhoun, GA SDA Church. Registration deadline noon on Thursday, Sept. 22. For more information or to register, go to: https://www.gccsda.com/events/engage2022. Questions? Contact Alyse: 706-629-7951 or firstname.lastname@example.org.