Dear Church Family,
In ancient times, salt was a valuable trade item. The price of salt was so high during the Middle Ages that people sometimes called it “white gold.” Up until the 1900s, people in Ethiopia used one-pound bars of salt as currency. Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth” (Matthew 5:13). What did He mean by this metaphor? Well, salt is a seasoning.
Jesus’ disciples are meant to add a flavor of godliness to the world. Salt is also a preservative. By living pure lives and influencing those around them, true disciples of Christ help to preserve the world from moral decay. In Paul’s writings to the early Christians, he urged them to “walk in wisdom toward those who are outside” so they might have a positive influence on those around them—so they might be good witnesses for Christ (Colossians 4:5).
He also emphasized the importance of a believer’s speech toward unbelievers. Words can help or hurt. They can build others up or tear them down. Paul advised, “Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one” (Colossians 4:6).
Speaking with grace involves kindness, compassion, and a forgiving spirit in our communication with another person. Seasoning our conversation with salt can mean using Christian tact, comforting and encouraging someone who is hurting, and flavoring our words so that the other person might be prompted to consider spiritual truth or learn more about God.
Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.Colossians 4:5-6
In the news:
- The Sabbath message will be brought to you by John Hawkins.
- AYA – Come join us this Sabbath evening at 7:30 p.m. to close out the Sabbath with music from the Ole Timey Musical. It is encouraged to bring your own instrument to play along. It will be a rich blessing, and we hope to see you there!
- Mid-Week Prayer Meeting: We will be continuing our mid-week Bible study on the Book of Mark. Next week we will be covering Chapters 5.
- On the church’s website there is a link to the mid-week Bible study, I will also send out an email with the zoom link.
- DINNER WITH THE DOCTOR – Come and learn from a Professional! Kazia Finley PharmD, will Review of the Most Commonly Used Herbal Medicines on Tuesday, September 13 at 6:30 p.m. in the church Fellowship Hall and Sanctuary. You will be richly blessed and leave with a full belly!
- North-East Tennessee Camp Meeting (September 16-17): Our speaker for this special event will be Elder Chester Clark, Vice President/Secretariat of Georgia Cumberland Conference. DON’T FORGET to register and let us know you’re coming. Lodging information and pricing are available on the registration form. Contact Heidi at (706) 629-7951. For weekend schedule and more information on what to bring, visit https://www.gccsda.com/northeast-tennessee or click the link. For the luncheon, bring your food prepared in a cooler or warming bag, water bottles, and lawn chairs. Dress is casual.
- There will be no services here at the church for Sabbath School, Church or AYA for the weekend of September 16-17.
- GCC Women’s Ministry Day Retreat: October 29, 2022, | Occasions on the Square | 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Cost: $15/person. Retreat includes lunch, worship, and fellowship. Please visit https://www.gccsda.com/events/100767 to register and find more information. Registration deadline October 6.
- ENGAGE LEADERSHIP CONVENTION: September 30 – October 1, 2022. New in Ministry? Veteran Youth Worker? Come to our annual training event for Youth Leaders, Youth in Ministry (ages 16+) and Pastors Breakout sessions offered for everyone at Cohutta Springs. Keynote Speaker – Andres Palacios, Associate Pastor of the Calhoun, GA SDA Church. Registration deadline noon on Thursday, Sept. 22. For more information or to register, go to: https://www.gccsda.com/events/engage2022. Questions? Contact Alyse: 706-629-7951 or email@example.com.
Week AT A GLANCE:
TODAY, September 10
9:15 a.m. Sabbath School/Carolyn Smith
11:00 a.m. Church/John Hawkins
6:30 p.m. AYA/Dan Sanford/Musical
MONDAY, September 12
6:00 p.m. Financial Meeting
7:15 p.m. Church Board Meeting
TUESDAY, September 13
6:30 p.m. Dinner With The Doctor
WEDNESDAY, September 14
7:00 p.m. Prayer Meeting via ZOOM
THURSDAY, September 15
6:00 p.m. Pathfinder
FRIDAY, September 16
7:30 p.m. Vespers/Oaks Retreat Center
SABBATH, September 17 Oaks Retreat Center
10:00 a.m. Sabbath School
11:30 a.m. Worship/Chester Clark, GCC
6:45 p.m. Vespers
The celebration of Sabbath ends today at 7:47 p.m.
Sabbath begins next Friday at 7:38 p.m.
Blessings to you all as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
Glory to God,