Dear Church Family,
Children should not be long confined within doors, nor should they be required to apply themselves closely to study until a good foundation has been laid for physical development. For the first eight or ten years of a child’s life the field or garden is the best schoolroom, the mother the best teacher, nature the best lesson book. Even when the child is old enough to attend school, his health should be regarded as of greater importance than a knowledge of books. He should be surrounded with the conditions most favorable to both physical and mental growth.
White, E. G. (1903). Education (p. 208). Pacific Press Publishing Association.
In the news:
1. This Sabbath, our youth will be leading in the service, and Jenna Felan will be sharing the message for the worship hour.
2. We will have AYA this Sabbath with Dan Sanford & friends. Come enjoy some beautiful music as we close the Sabbath!
3. We will not have our mid-week service this week due to graduation. Our mid-week Bible study will resume on Wednesday, May 25 at 7 P.M. We are in Zechariah chapter 8.
4. GAA’s 8th-grade graduation will be this Wednesday at 6 P.M. in the school gym. All are invited.
5. GAA’s Senior graduation will be this Thursday at 6 P.M. in the school gym. All are invited!
6. Some of you may remember Pastor Dave Sharpe who used to head up our CSC work. I just received a call from him today and learned that he is 90 years old now and preaches every week at a church plant in Raleigh, NC. His church has 70 members with a combined online and in-person attendance of around 90. They hope to be voted in as a church this coming August as they have now met all the requirements. The Lord continues to use Pastor Dave in a mighty way. He sends his regards to each of you.
7. The church pictorial directory is available online or via a free app on your phone. I continue to learn of those who are unaware of it or who simply haven’t checked it out. This is a very useful tool as it gives you quick access to the church families’ contact info and pictures. Also, if you haven’t updated your picture or contact info lately, you may wish to do so via their website. Here are the steps to use this handy app:
- Download the app or visit the website. Here are instructions for iPhone, Android, and a Computer Web Browser.
- If you’ve never used Instant Church Directory, click Member sign in and then click First Time Signing In!
- Use the same email you gave the church office to sign up. If you can’t remember, contact the church office. If the email isn’t the same, it won’t allow you to join.
- When prompted, create a password of your choosing. Don’t forget!
- Now you should have access to the online directory. Please check out your profile and update any incorrect or outdated info including your picture by following these simple directions.
- Note that if you are using the app on your phone, you can click on a member’s phone number to initiate a text or phone call. If you click on their address it will launch your GPS for directions or if you click on their email it will launch your email client so you can write an email. Did you just hear a name of a member you don’t know? You can pull out your phone and look up their picture anytime. You need this app if you don’t have it!
8. Next Sabbath we will have Senior Baccalaureate and then AYA that evening with a sing-along with Dr. Bill Chunestudy, who is coming as the guest conductor for the weekend. He has led the students in music clinics over the past three years and you are invited to sing-along or come and enjoy listening to the music and devotional message at 6 P.M. Sabbath evening. Music is available via email or hardcopy by contacting Ms. Anne. Text or email at 615-403-2954 OR firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Our next LIVE STREAM will be at our place on Sunday, May 22 at 4:30 P.M. Remember this LIVE STREAM is for those ages 50-69 and their families. If you would like to bring something for the meal, a salad of some kind would be welcome. RSVP is preferred but not required. Also, you may like to bring something to roast marshmallows with and a camp chair. We will have another LIVE STREAM for those ages 70+ on Sunday, June 12 at 4:30 P.M.
10. Our church board voted this past Monday to have a community garden at the church. Thanks to Katie Wilson & Julissa Fernandez for their enthusiastic proposal on the matter. While details are still being developed, we are excited about the possibilities this will afford!! This ministry will fall under health ministries which is headed up by Rhoda Kanna. More details will be forthcoming but the goal, for now, is to have everything ready in time for a fall garden. Here’s a story from the Terrace SDA Church and their experience with a community garden. And here is an older story from the Auburn SDA church and their community garden. Their stories are very inspiring!
11. Next year’s church retreat speaker was scheduled this week as well. We will have with us Chad Kreuzer from Health & Homestead. The church retreat is scheduled for April 28-29, 2023.
12. We confirmed this week with Messiah’s Mansion to have them come next fall. It’s been nearly a decade since we last had the mansion here. It was in Johnson City back in 2018. This is a full-scale replica of the OT Sanctuary with tours that explain the gospel through its symbols. We will have tours for the community from September 30 through October 8 of 2023. We will then follow up on the 10th of October with a full Bible study series for the community.
13. Mark your calendars for Sabbath, July 9 when we will have Adventist World Radio AWR coming to share stories and miracles of God’s work around the world.
- May 29-June 4 – Carolina Camp Meeting
- June 1-June 4 – Georgia-Cumberland Camp Meeting
- Sunday, June 5 – Men’s Ministry Breakfast / Bible Study
- Sabbath, June 11 – Pastor Nate’s first Sabbath
- Sabbath June 11 – AYA will feature AFM Missionaries
- Sunday, June 12 – Live Stream (70+ yr olds)
- Tuesday, June 14 – Dinner with the Doctor
- Sabbath, June 25 – AYA Old Timey Music with Dan Sanford
- Sunday, June 26 – GAA Yard Sale
- Sunday, July 3 – Men’s Ministry Breakfast / Bible Study
- Sabbath, July 9 – AWR Sabbath
- July 18-22 – Vacation Bible School
- July 29-31 – Church Camp Out Make your reservations now.
- Sabbath, August 6 – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,