Dear Church Family,
The tempted one needs to understand the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man—the power of decision, of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. Desires for goodness and purity are right, so far as they go; but if we stop here, they avail nothing. Many will go down to ruin while hoping and desiring to overcome their evil propensities. They do not yield the will to God. They do not choose to serve Him.
God has given us the power of choice; it is ours to exercise. We cannot change our hearts, we cannot control our thoughts, our impulses, our affections. We cannot make ourselves pure, fit for God’s service. But we can choose to serve God, we can give Him our will; then He will work in us to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus our whole nature will be brought under the control of Christ.
White, E. G. (1905). The Ministry of Healing (p. 176). Pacific Press Publishing Association.
In the news:
1.I was so happy to see the turnout of our church family last night and we had at least 5 guests there as well. Tonight’s topic is entitled, “Whisper of the Serpent.” Remember it begins at 7 p.m. at the church.
2. This Sabbath we will continue our Serpentine Prophecy series at the 11 o’clock hour. While Sabbath School and the prayer time during the worship hour will be live-streamed, the Serpentine Prophecy portion will not be live-streamed due to requirements from the Voice of Prophecy.
3. Tomorrow night, at 7 P.M., we will have our final presentation in the Serpentine Prophecy series. I must say this is a pivotal one as it brings the whole series together.
4. The GAA mission team has returned safely from Bolivia. The Pathfinders have a camporee this weekend so will be gone. Thus several students went from mission trip straight to camporee. Even though several got sick near the end, they are all home safe and well. Praise God! Their report will be given on May 6 at 6:30 P.M. instead of April 29. So please note the change in date.
5. Men’s ministries will have their Bible study and breakfast on May 1 at 8:30 A.M. at the church fellowship hall. All men are invited to attend.
6. The GAA spring concert is planned for next Sabbath evening at 7 P.M. as we close the Sabbath together and enjoy good music. The concert will be in the school gym.
7. Our mid-week Bible study in Zechariah continues this Wednesday at 7 P.M. via ZOOM with a look at Zechariah 5.
8. The Community Services Center is needing 1-2 volunteers on Wednesdays from 7:40 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. & Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Call Brenda Chalfant at 423-741-5707 if you can help.
9. Remember our International Sabbath is just around the corner. May 7 will involve a special worship service including a parade of nations and a wonderful church fellowship dinner. It’s always a special Sabbath!
10. Ministry leaders, we need your help. Each of you should have received an email as well as a letter in the mail regarding your ministry position. So far I only have around 3 submissions in. Here is the letter which includes the link to the survey. If you are a ministry leader, please review the letter and your current job description and complete the survey by May 1. We are trying to update the ministry descriptions in time for the nominating committee process later this year. Thank you!!