Dear Church Family,
When it is in the heart to obey God, when efforts are put forth to this end, Jesus accepts this disposition and effort as man’s best service, and He makes up for the deficiency with His own divine merit. But He will not accept those who claim to have faith in Him, and yet are disloyal to His Father’s commandment. We hear a great deal about faith, but we need to hear a great deal more about works. Many are deceiving their own souls by living an easygoing, accommodating, crossless religion. But Jesus says, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”—The Signs of the Times, June 16, 1890.
White, E. G. (1958). Selected Messages From the Writings of Ellen G. White, Book 1 (p. 382). Review and Herald Publishing Association.
In the news:
1. This Sabbath we will resume our Genesis series with a look at Cain & Abel.
2. Marti Hampton will be joining our church family through profession of faith this Sabbath! Marti was an Adventist years ago and is now returning to the faith she grew up with. Allice Hughes was Marti’s mother. You may remember Allice who was a member for many years in our church and passed away some time back. Marti isn’t able to come to church normally due to health concerns but will be with us this Sabbath. She watches faithfully online and plans to be engaged in ministry to the shut-ins in our church through phone calls and cards.
3. Inge Horton’s memorial service will be this Sunday, March 20. Visitation will begin here at the church at 12:00 p.m. Service will begin at 2:00 P.M. In lieu of flowers the family asks for memorial gifts to be given to Alzheimer’s, 207 North Boone Street, Johnson City, Tennessee 37604.
4. Our first Live Stream for those ages 20-49 and their families will be this Sunday, March 20 at 4:30 P.M. at our home. If you would like to bring something for the meal, a salad of some kind would be welcome. Stew, cornbread, dessert, & drink will be provided. RSVP is preferred but not required. Also, you may like to bring something to roast marshmallows with and a camp chair. Future gatherings will be Sunday, May 22 at 4:30 p.m. and will be for those ages 50-69. Then the last group will be Sunday, June 12 at 4:30 p.m. and will be for those ages 70 and above.
5. Our mid-week Bible study this week will look at Zechariah chapter 2. Join us this Wednesday at 7 P.M. via ZOOM.
6. We are blessed to have great Sabbath School teachers and classes for our young people. Here is a bulletin board from our primary room with Shawn Dietrich’s class. Carol Baughman has coordinated the mission report with missionaries from our own church family sharing stories. Impressive!
7. A reminder that we are collecting funds for the Riverview church family as they hope to rebuild as soon as possible. We have set up a fund that has a current balance of about $4000.
8. Fellowship dinner this Sabbath has been canceled.
9. We are excited to announce that next Sabbath afternoon, March 26 at 3 P.M., Kristin Fox will be baptized at Horse Creek.
10. Remember to be prayerfully considering who you might invite to the Serpentine Prophecy mini-series to be held Thursday through Sabbath, April 21-23 at the church. This 3 night plus Sabbath morning series will look at the topic of spiritualism and the state of the dead. It’s an outreach event.
11. Last Sabbath was a treat with the snow! Jason & I headed out for a hike to Margarite falls after Sabbath lunch and enjoyed the beauty! Also brought Louie, our Sun Conure.
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,