Dear Church Family,
While there are lots of theories out there associated with the COVID-19 virus, let us remember that we have a sound message of truth that has stood the test of time and it is the message for the hour. Let us, therefore, be very cautious at dwelling upon and sharing questionable theories, especially with people outside our faith. No doubt some so-called conspiracy theories may contain a degree of truth for that is how deception works best.
One rather compelling video was making its rounds this week which SNOPES & Politifact indicate has many discrepancies associated with it. I am not here to argue either side of this story but to simply suggest that we be very cautious about associating ourselves with so-called or labeled conspiracy theories. Why? Because it quickly labels us which weakens our witness for Christ. Just as date setting endangers our witness, so clinging to fringe theories and such can distract and disrupt our witness. We’ve been told to herald the Three Angels Messages which first heralds good news and then issues warning. Let’s stick with Scripture, with truth and not theory, for truth will stand the test of time whereas theories usually evaporate with time.
“Our work is not to make a raid on the Government but to prepare a people to stand in the great day of the Lord. The fewer attacks we make on authorities and powers, the more work will we do for God . . . Do all in your power to reflect the light, but do not speak words that will irritate or provoke.” EV 173
“I have been shown that it is the device of the enemy to divert men’s minds to some obscure or unimportant point, something that is not fully revealed or is not essential to salvation. This is made the absorbing theme, the “present truth,” when all the investigations and suppositions only serve to make matters more obscure and to confuse the minds of some who ought to be seeking for oneness through sanctification of the truth” EV 182
Remember, our warning message actually includes an uncovering of one of the greatest conspiracies known to man, of the sinister deceptions of a fallen angel. Wouldn’t it make sense then that Satan would try to divert the honest-hearted from the truth by introducing and inundating us with new and intriguing conspiracy theories that blend truth with error? Eve bought into it. Let us learn from her mistake. Therefore, let us stick closely to the script of Scripture in heralding our message, and stick with what we do know and not with what we don’t know. Only the Truth can set us free.
In the news:
- Remember that Hope Awakens continues tonight with a presentation at 7 p.m. via hopeawakens.org.
- Here is the schedule of events for this Sabbath!
- 9:15 a.m. Prayer Line Watch your email for the phone # and access code.
- 9:45 a.m. Sabbath School with Jeremy Wetmore leading out. Watch your email for the ZOOM link.
- 10:45 a.m. Announcements & Prayer Time
- 11:00 a.m. Hope Awakens
- Church board will meet this Monday evening at 7:15 p.m. via ZOOM. Watch for your invitation to arrive in your email on Monday. Note there will be NO Finance Committee this time.
- This Sabbath we will vote on the following nomination:2nd Reading Jeremy Wetmore to be Associate Superintendent
- You may be wondering when we are going to be opening the church back up for Sabbath School and Church. Our church appointed a COVID-19 subcommittee back in march and they are preparing a recommendation for our church board which will be meeting this Monday. We intend to remain closed at least through the 16th of May based on conference recommendation.
- Congratulations to all our graduates this year. Some of the celebrations have had to be a bit constrained due to COVID-19 but it in no way implies that the accomplishment is any less significant. Here is a list of the graduates for 2020.
- Ron Turk shared this update regarding his health. Please keep him in prayer as he undergoes treatment next week: I just want you to know that my lung cancer has spread to the left lower lobe of my lung according to my last CT scan on April 22. I will receive SABR (stereotactic ablative radiation) for five days next week as I did in August 2019, nine months ago. The SABR destroyed the cancer in the right upper lobe then and we expect it to destroy the new mass in the left lower lobe.
In many ways I have been blessed. I have never had any symptoms from the cancer. I had none when diagnosed before I had my surgery in October 2018, none before my radiation to the right upper lobe of the lung August 2019, and none now. I went 10 months before the first metastasis and I have gone 9 months this time. I had no side effects from the first radiation therapy and I do not expect to have any this time.
- Sherry Edwards appreciates your prayers as she fractured her right foot about a week ago after falling while trying to get in the car. Her niece who lives with her is caring for her and Sherry is scheduled to see the doctor on Monday.
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,