Dear Church Family,
There is a lot of fear and rumor going around during this Coronavirus pandemic that is affecting everything from Amusement Parks, to Church, to Bathroom tissue to Oil prices and the list goes on. Certainly, these are interesting times but what an opportunity to demonstrate our rest in Jesus! Let us be like Jesus in the boat when he rested in the faith of HIs Father amidst the storm. Here is a list of coronavirus related items that you may want to familiarize yourself with:
- Our church board met this week and discussed how we might respond to the Coronavirus. A subcommittee was appointed and here is a document that has been put together to address our local church response as it currently stands. More info can be gleaned from the CDC.
- We will have our regularly scheduled Sabbath School class time and Worship service tomorrow.
- We have elected to cancel all fellowship dinners for the remainder of March.
- Greeters, Pastors, and members are encouraged to avoid shaking hands and hugging this Sabbath but simply stick with verbal greetings. I share this simply to remind people that we are not being stuffy but merely considerate given the circumstances.
- Cradle Roll leadership informed me yesterday that they have canceled their classes for the remainder of the month as well.
- Adult Sabbath School classes are being spread out more so that people won’t be in such close proximity. Milton Siepman’s class will join the Sanctuary class with Lee Elliott leading out. Then Ken Mathew’s class will have some added room to spread out with an extra one or two sections available so that attendees will have more room between each other.
- We will be taking up the morning offering at the door on Sabbath so as to avoid passing plates around the sanctuary.
- Communion has been canceled this month as well.
- At the recommendation of the Georgia-Cumberland Conference, our school has elected to extend spring break by an extra week. Thus students will return to school on March 30.
- Our new Bible study series on Romans will be postponed until further notice. We will begin after the threat of COVID-19 diminishes.
- The “How to” class regarding the Coronavirus and building your immune system that was scheduled for March 26 has been canceled.
- School Board has been rescheduled from Monday, March 23 to Monday, March 30.
- The International Food Fair has been rescheduled for April 21.
- Kindergarten Roundup has been rescheduled for April 8.
- The SAU Gymnastics team program scheduled for the evening of March 28 has been canceled.
- I found the following two segments to be the most helpful to me beyond the obvious suggestions of hygiene and social distancing. The 1st segment was from Dr. Wes Youngberg several weeks ago & the 2nd is from a piece that came out this week from Dr. Neil Nedley. I highly recommend that you check these out as they have practical advice and tips on how to boost your immunity.
In other news:
- This Sabbath marks the conclusion of the prophecy series with a message from Pastor Marcus Bates entitled, “Avoiding the Point of No Return.”
- As stated above, fellowship lunch has been canceled for this Sabbath.
- There will be a memorial service this Sabbath afternoon at 4 p.m. at the church for Art Kanna, the father of Arvo Kanna. All are invited to come.
- AYA will be this Sabbath evening at 6 p.m. with singing and ole timey music. Contact Dan if you are interested in participating in the music.
- The prophecy series has gone very well with many eager attendees and positive responses to the message. There have been some requests for baptism or rebaptism and those will transpire over the course of the next several months as their study progresses in personal and small group Bible studies. We praise God for this wonderful response to the messages and for everyone who helped and for those who are helping in giving follow up studies. Please keep the interests in your prayers.
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,