Friday, February 7, 2020
Dear Church Family,
A topic that often seems to be neglected or overlooked perhaps because it seems a bit too taboo in the church and schools is the topic of self-abuse, self-pollution or in modern vernacular, masturbation. Inspiration is very clear upon this point and yet because much of society is at odds with its instruction, I sense there is some misunderstanding upon the matter. I would encourage you to read these passages and the context as well. Inspiration tells us that this is very prevalent in the church and yet many refuse to address the matter. As parents, let us address this subject at an age-appropriate level from the earliest of years with both boys and girls. As parents, we should be proactive in this matter that they not become enticed by this evil of Satan. Here are a few passages to consider and I would encourage you to go and read if you haven’t already pages 390-410 & 438-489 in the 2nd volume of the Testimonies.
Some children begin to practice self-pollution in their infancy; and as they increase in years, the lustful passions grow with their growth and strengthen with their strength. 2T 481
I am pained at heart when I call to mind how many children of Sabbathkeeping parents are ruining soul and body with secret vice. Near you is a family who reveal their evil habits in their bodies as well as their minds. These children are on the direct road to perdition. They are debased themselves, and have instructed many others in this vice. The eldest boy is dwarfed, physically and mentally, by indulging in its practice. What little intellect he has left is of a low order. If he continues in this vicious practice he will eventually become idiotic. Every indulgence of children who have attained their growth is a terrible evil and will produce terrible results, enervating the system and weakening the intellect. But in those who indulge this corrupting vice before attaining their growth, the evil effects are more plainly marked, and recovery from its effects is more nearly hopeless. The frame is weak and stunted; the muscles are flabby; the eyes become small, and appear at times swollen; the memory is treacherous, and becomes sievelike; and inability to concentrate the thoughts upon study increases. 2T 402
Satan now has the field. Your poor children are his captives; he has control of their minds and causes them to take a low turn. Their moral sensibilities seem paralyzed. They have practiced self-abuse and gloried in their iniquities. Such boys are capable of poisoning an entire neighborhood or community, and their pernicious influence will endanger all who are brought in contact with them in school capacity. Your children are corrupt in body and in mind. Vice has placed its marks upon your elder children. They are tainted, deeply tainted, with sin. The animal propensities predominate, while the moral and intellectual faculties are very weak. The baser passions have gained strength by exercise, while conscience has become hardened and seared. This is the influence which vice will have upon the mental powers. Those who give themselves up to work the ruin of their own bodies and minds do not stop here. Eventually they will be found ready for crime in almost any form, for their consciences are seared. Parents have not been half aroused to realize their responsibility in becoming parents. They are remiss in their duty. They do not teach their children the sinfulness of these dangerous, virtue-destroying habits. Until parents arouse, there is no hope for their children. 2T 406
Steady industry upon a farm would have proved a blessing to these children, and constant employment, as their strength could bear, would have given them less opportunity to corrupt their own bodies by self-abuse, and would have prevented them from instructing a large number in this hellish practice. Labor is a great blessing to all children, especially to that class whose minds are naturally inclined to vice and depravity. 2T 403
Another interesting point regarding the context of these passages is the importance diet plays in discouraging or encouraging this evil practice.
In the news:
- Tonight we will close our 48hr prayer vigil at 5:30 p.m. with a consecration service in the sanctuary. For those who have participated, I hope you have been blessed by the experience as well. It is a touching sight to see the people come and go and watch as they meander up and down the rows bowing and praying over each name.
- This Sabbath Pastor Jared will bring the message with a sermon entitled, “A Troubled Past.”
- The Cross team will be hosting the fellowship meal this Sabbath.
- AYA will be at 5 p.m. this Sabbath evening and will feature Dan Sanford and friends sharing Ole Timey music. If you would like to participate, please contact Dan Sanford.
- Our upcoming prophecy series begins this Monday evening at the Crescent School with supper at 5:45 p.m. and the meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. Marta Wetmore still needs a volunteer for childcare on Tuesdays. But thanks to her work, childcare will be made available each evening for those who need it. The Bewley’s have been gracious to grant us an extra room for it at no charge for childcare. Remember the meetings are M, T, & TH evenings for 5 weeks beginning this coming Monday, the 10th.
- This past Wednesday evening we held a short work bee to prepare mailings for the upcoming prophecy series. Due to all the help, the work went quickly.
- Prayer Meeting will be postponed until after the prophecy series.
- Greeneville Adventist Academy will be having its 4th Annual Chili Cook-Off and Craft Fair on Sunday, February 16 in the GAA gym from 4:30 to 6:00. The GAA 8th grade class is looking for anyone who wants to participate in the craft/hobby part of the fair. Tables are different prices depending on if you are selling a craft or are displaying a hobby. Please contact Mrs. Shumaker via phone or text at 423-707-4114 to reserve your spot.
- Lastly, this video caught my attention this week and I found it very helpful and clear. It features Dr. McGregor, founder of nutritionfacts.org, giving a presentation entitled, “40 Year Vegan Dies of a Heart Attack.” Needless to say the heading caught my attention. Here is the 2003 presentation below for those interested.
Blessings as you prepare for the Sabbath! Hope to see you tonight!
In His Service,