Dear Church Family,
As we gear up as a church to read/listen through the Testimonies beginning Sunday, September 1, I wanted to share with you a helpful summary of the purpose of these writings taken from the book, “A Prophet Among You,” page 373:
The Ellen White writings claim to fulfill at least the following functions:
- To exalt the Bible.
- To attract minds to the Bible.
- To call attention to truths neglected.
- To impress truths already revealed.
- To awaken minds.
- To simplify truths.
- To bring out principles and help apply them.
- To instruct in details.
I hope you will join us on this journey through the Testimonies. This Sabbath you can sign up via the bulletin insert for a daily email beginning September 1 with a link to that day’s reading along with the audio should you choose to listen instead. Remember, it’s only 10 pages a day, or about 22 minutes of audio. From time to time we may use the group email to also share testimonies from the group or words of encouragement in the journey as well as announce any get-togethers the group may wish to share in. We want to do this together, that we may support and encourage one another and together be revived by His Spirit. To join, simply fill out the insert this Sabbath and place it in the offering plate. This 16 month journey will take us through all 9 volumes of the Testimonies so that by the end of 2020, we will have finished the entire set. Reading plans will be available in the church foyer this Sabbath.
In the news:
- This Sabbath we will continue with part II in our series through the book of Esther. We will also have a baby dedication for Adeline Autumn Cross this Sabbath.
- There will be a fellowship lunch this Sabbath with the Emde’s hosting.
- There will be a baptism this Sabbath at 6 p.m. at Old Forge Campground inside the Horse Creek Park. Austin, Andrew, & Adam Cover will be baptized.
- Due to the baptisms, there will be no AYA this Sabbath.
- It’s time for Adventurer’s to begin. Registration will be this Sunday, August 25, in the Church Fellowship Hall from 11:00a.m. – 1:00p.m. Please bring your child’s uniform shirt and jumper (girls) if you need a different size. If you have any questions, please contact (call or text) Katrina Robinson.
- As you heard last Sunday from the phone cast, Ken & Inge Horton’s daughter, Patricia died last Friday night and was found in her bed on Sabbath afternoon. The memorial service will be this Sunday at 2 p.m. at our church with the family receiving friends between 1-2 p.m. Please keep all the family in your prayers. Patricia was 57 years old and lived here in Greeneville. You can read the obituary by clicking here.
- A reminder that each Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. we have prayer meeting with singing, prayer time, and Bible study. We are currently studying 1 Peter. If you play an instrument, you are invited to bring it and play while we sing hymns together.
- I joined several of our GAA students at Morning Pointe this week as they were paired up with a senior mentor. Over the course of the year they will develop friendship with their senior mentor as they spend time doing crafts, cooking, and such. This intergenerational mentoring program is sponsored in part by Southern Adventist University. The program is called Assist and is a real blessing for the youth and the seniors.
- Mary Covill had a successful surgery on her back on Monday and was released on Wednesday. Her rehab from this surgery is minimal. She has begun her cancer treatment this week for the multiple myeloma. She appreciates your prayers on her behalf.
- Evan Fox requests prayer for his mother who while having recovered from her surgery, has been diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma brain cancer. Please remember her in prayer as she decides what form of treatment to take and that the Lord’s will be done in her life.
- The Media Mind premiere screening will be September 7. Scott Ritsema will share what the latest research reveals regarding “big tech” media’s influential stranglehold on our lives. What are the Biblical principles that can restore balanced use and avoid misuse of mass media? How to remain Christ-centered in the digital dark age. Click here to view a special trailer for our church.
- Remember that we will have our NE TN camp meeting on the weekend of Sept 20-21. Stephen Bauer will be presenting.
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,