Dear Church Family,
Something to consider:
I question whether genuine rebellion is ever curable. Study in Patriarchs and Prophets the rebellion of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram. This rebellion was extended, including more than two men. [A comparison is here drawn between Korah’s rebellion and a current apostasy led by two men in a certain field. See also page 394.] It was led by two hundred and fifty princes of the congregation, men of renown. Call rebellion by its right name and apostasy by its right name, and then consider that the experience of the ancient people of God with all its objectionable features was faithfully chronicled to pass into history. The Scripture declares, “These things … are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come” (1 Corinthians 10:11). . .
White, E. G. (1958). Selected Messages From the Writings of Ellen G. White, Book 2 (p. 393). Review and Herald Publishing Association.
In the news:
- I will be sharing the message this week for the worship hour.
- There will not be a fellowship meal this Sabbath.
- Our Getting Acquainted video series will continue this week and will feature Paul & Shirley Walters this Sabbath. Last Sabbath we featured the Kennedy family. In case you missed it, here’s their story.
- AYA will be at 6pm this Sabbath evening. Come and here how NAPS (National Association for the Prevention of Starvation)Volunteers have been able to work domestically and internationally to those who are starving physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Recently Kim Shumaker attended a 3ABN recording session to describe the “3 Angels Message” Project taking place in our schools in North America. It was quite an honor for her to be chosen from so many teachers across the division. Watch below her participation in the 3ABN interview alongside Danny Houghton & Larry Blackmer. To see Kim, skip to 37min 41 seconds in the video.
- The youth and young adults had a great time at the Bonfire get together last Saturday night at the Murrays. With roughly 35 in attendance, they had worship, songs, food, games and even guests not from the church came and spent a fun evening with them. A big thank you to the Murray family for their hospitality and willingness to have the young people of our church over at their place.
- Ken Mathews contacted me with the following announcement for all choir members. Note that there will be no choir practice tomorrow after potluck as the bulletin announced because there will be no fellowship meal this Sabbath. So if you are interested in participating in the choir, please note that the only practice for November 3 will be on Friday night, November 2 at 7pm and not 7:30pm as the bulletin states.
- Diabetes Undone is halfway over and while the group is smaller, the fellowship is rich and sweet. I will try and snap a few pictures this week. I keep forgetting.
- The school is selling citrus fruit again and this fruit should be really good. To order contact the school before November 9. The delivery should be in the first half of December sometime.
- We met as a nominating committee this week. We hope to have a report ready for 1st reading by Sabbath, November 10.
- I had a great time with the 3rd & 4th graders this past Tuesday as we canoed along the Nolichucky River. Philip Mitchell, their teacher had it all planned out for us. Dawn Meijer, the Svendsens, Kevin Finley and I along with Mr. Mitchell enjoyed canoeing with these energetic and happy kids.
- Tina and I attended the Hope Center fundraising dinner this past Tuesday evening at the General Morgan Inn. We heard an amazing talk given by a lady named Gianna Jessen who actually survived a failed abortion. You can read more about her story via her website by clicking on her name. Because of the attempted abortion, she has cerebral palsy but her love for the Lord and passionate testimony were very moving. The Hope Center will begin construction of their new residence for young mothers in November. Here is a video of a speech she gave some years back to give you an idea of her testimony. More videos can be seen by visiting her web site.
- As some of you know, there was and has been a great deal of discussion surrounding a vote that was taken recently by the church leadership at its recent annual council meetings. To help clear up some of the mistaken ideas regarding this now voted proposal by the General Conference that have spread through social media and the like, this document was put together by Elder Mark Finley. It offers some helpful insight and clarity as to the purpose of the compliance document.
- As you know I enjoy taking pictures and have been trying to take more as the puppy is growing fast and for that matter, the boys are too. Thought I would share some of these recent memories with you.
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,