Dear Church Family,
The Greene County Fair is taking place this week and our church has a booth thanks to the leadership of Fred Myers and Aubrey Shoemaker. It is exciting to see the intrigue on peoples faces as they pause to look at “The Blessed Hope” painting by Nathan Green featuring the 2nd coming. Bags have been prepared with helpful information regarding the Adventist churches in our area, the ministries we offer, as well as information on the school and the worldwide scope of the Adventist church. There are IIW Bible study guides and health information available as well. When someone pauses to look at the painting, I found it convenient to offer them a take-home lesson on the 2nd coming. Thank you to all the volunteers who have made this effort a success.
In the news:
- This Sabbath I will be sharing the sermon during the worship hour.
- Fellowship dinner this week will be hosted by the Carlton/Smith team.
- AYA will be at 7:30pm and will be led by Dennis Silva.
- School is set to begin this Monday! Our annual school work bee is scheduled for this Sunday from 8-2pm. Please come out as we seek to ready the school for another great school year.
- Adventurers will have open registration this Sunday, August 12 at 4pm at GAA. Kids will have playtime and a water-balloon toss, while parents fill out registration information. Adventurers is for children age 3 until 4th grade. Contact Marta Wetmore 423.231.8937 for more information.
- There will be a church finance committee meeting and board meeting this Monday night at 6pm and 7:15pm.
- There will be a pre-nominating committee meeting this coming Thursday night at 6:30pm in the fellowship hall. Please notify me if you are not able to make it Thursday night. You should have received at least one phone cast regarding the meeting.
- Prayer Meeting will resume Wednesday, August 22 with a morning and evening class like we had last Spring. Milton will be teaching in the morning and I will be teaching the evening class. We will resume our journey through “Christ’s Object Lessons” by looking at chapter 14 together.
- Pathfinder registration will be at 6pm, this Thursday at the church fellowship hall.
- Some families might be interested in attending the annual Family Retreat Camp meeting by Restoration International this October 10-14. Having officiated at the wedding for the Dysinger / Knecht Families this summer, we had the opportunity to get to know a lot of folks who regularly attend this camp meeting which is held in Indiana each fall. We were impressed with the stories and witness of these families. I have heard several presentations in the past from this camp meeting and have been very impressed. This would be a great place to network with other families and find inspiration for practical ways to raise your own family for Jesus. Click here and here for more information on the retreat in Indiana this October and here for more information on Restoration International and its mission.
- Looking ahead to next week’s AYA, Harry Nelson informed me of the following:
Trey and Vicky Brown, AFM missionaries to the Middle East area will present the challenges and triumphs of Christian outreach and witness in a Muslim country at the vesper program of August 18. Plan to hear of God’s providential leading and share the joy.
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,