Dear Church Family,
I was reflecting this morning on the importance of simplicity in all that we do. Should not every aspect of our lives reflect this principle of heaven? Satan would have us so busy, even with good things, that we lose focus and dependence upon Jesus. These words seem appropriate from the book Education. In speaking of Israel, The simplicity and self-restraint essential to the highest development they sought to exchange for the pomp and self-indulgence of heathen peoples. To be “like all the nations” (1 Samuel 8:5) was their ambition. God’s plan of education was set aside, His authority disowned. Education 49-50
With regards to our children, we read: The little ones should be educated in childlike simplicity. They should be trained to be content with the small, helpful duties and the pleasures and experiences natural to their years. Childhood answers to the blade in the parable, and the blade has a beauty peculiarly its own. Children should not be forced into a precocious maturity, but as long as possible should retain the freshness and grace of their early years. CG 139
We also read,
There is among us as a people an idolatry of human instrumentalities and mere human talent, and these even of a superficial character. We must die to self and cherish humble, childlike faith. God’s people have departed from their simplicity. They have not made God their strength, and they are weak and faint, spiritually.
I have been shown that the spirit of the world is fast leavening the church. You are following the same path as did ancient Israel. There is the same falling away from your holy calling as God’s peculiar people. You are having fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness. Your concord with unbelievers has provoked the Lord’s displeasure. You know not the things that belong to your peace, and they are fast being hid from your eyes. Your neglect to follow the light will place you in a more unfavorable position than the Jews upon whom Christ pronounced a woe.
I have been shown that unbelief in the testimonies has been steadily increasing as the people backslide from God. 5T 75-76
In the news:
- Tonight at 6pm, there will be a musical vespers program at the church featuring GAA and the Ooltewah Adventist School (OAKS. These two bands will combine as a 60+ member band presenting music to welcome the Sabbath. All are invited to attend.
- The church orchestra practice will take place tonight at 7pm in preparation for tomorrow’s worship service.
- Tomorrow I will be sharing the morning message and the church orchestra will be playing throughout the service.
- Tomorrow there will be no fellowship meal as we have Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner taking place. A big thanks to Kathy Nomura and the ladies who have helped make this program a success.
- AYA will be at 7:30pm tomorrow evening and will feature the Heritage Academy Vocal Choir and Bell Choir.
- This Monday, April 30th, at 7:00 p.m., there will be a class on home organization with Sherry Thomas at the church. Are you tired of chaos or just wanting to simplify your life. Ideas will be shared on how to organize your home and life to run more smoothly. We already have folks signed up who have attended other how to classes so want to encourage you to come out and enjoy the fellowship that such a class can afford.
- We will study the parable of The Hidden Treasure this coming Wednesday as recorded in Matthew 13:45-46. Please also read chapter 9 from the book Christ Object Lessons in preparation for the prayer meeting class offered at both 10:30am and 6:30pm.
- This came to me from Suranny this morning as a reminder for our youth, On May 5, there will be an overnight event at 8:30 pm for youth ages 14-18. The guys are invited to the Millers house with Pastor Alex and the girls to the Sarria’s House with Suranny. The theme will be honoring God’s principles of purity and faithfulness to our calling in life. Those attending should bring Comfy clothes, blankets, sleeping bags, air mattress, journal and pen.
- As a reminder, we are looking at having a church mission trip in the summer of 2019. More details will be forthcoming but for now we are asking members to simply pray and consider if God might be prompting them to participate.
- As the deadly wound continues to heal as depicted in Revelation 13, we see the following movie is set to be released on May 18 of this year. Here is the trailer below. And all the world wandered . . .
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,