Dear Church Family,
From my reading this week:
It is our work to speak the truth in love and not to mix in with the truth the unsanctified elements of the natural heart and speak things that savor of the same spirit possessed by our enemies. All sharp thrusts will come back upon us in double measure when the power is in the hands of those who can exercise it for injury. Over and over the message has been given to me that we are not to say one word, not to publish one sentence, especially by way of personalities, unless positively essential in vindicating the truth, that will stir up our enemies against us and arouse their passions to a white heat. Our work will soon be closed up, and soon the time of trouble, such as never was, will come upon us, of which we have but little idea.
He who is careless and heedless in uttering words or in writing words for publication to be sent broadcast into the world, sending forth expressions that can never be taken back, is disqualifying himself to be entrusted with the sacred work that devolves upon Christ’s followers at this time. Those who practice giving harsh thrusts are forming habits that will strengthen by repetition and will have to be repented of. 9T 241
This statement is particularly pertinent in light of today’s internet and social media. So much of what is on social media these days is cringe worthy. Let us be most prudent in what we put out there for the masses to see.
In the news:
- This Sabbath I will be sharing the message with a sermon entitled, “How to Serve Those You Don’t Like.”
- There will be no fellowship lunch this Sabbath.
- AYA this week will feature stories and pictures from our recent trip to Israel & Jordan. Pastor Alex & Suranny and Tina and I will be sharing. Here are is a foretaste of what you might expect though mind you colors may be a muted yellow on some screens such as Galaxy phones and may take a few moments to load:
- I received a lot of feedback from last Sabbath’s Adventist Education sermon most of which was very positive. In case you wish to read and study more I would recommend the following chapters from Spirit of Prophecy: Chapters 5 & 6 of Education, Chapter 58 of Patriarchs & Prophets, and chapter 11 of Fundamentals of Education. I would also highly recommend these online presentations Schooled & Undoctrinated by Scott Ritsema. You can purchase them here and here. Many of the quotes I shared Sabbath were from his first presentation in the series Undoctrinated. Finally you might consider the series “The Classroom of the Remnant” by Joshua White which includes a great deal of brain science and research and discusses the need to raise a thinking generation. If you want to take a glimpse of some of this material by Joshua White click here for this series he did in Australia. Please check it out. Profound points here.
- Thank you to all who volunteered at the fair this week or who are scheduled to volunteer tonight or tomorrow. Our health ministries van was present to provide various health checks and offer flyers for upcoming church events. Our school had a booth to share with everyone about the great education provided at GAA. And then some put together a booth on the Sanctuary and provided free literature such as The Great Controversy. I would say this provided a strong Adventist presence at our fair. Praise God! Here are some pictures from the fair.
- Several of you came out to help at the school work bee last Sunday where we gathered to prepare the school for the new year. Our school is off to a great start and below you can see some of the pictures from the first day of school and workbee.
- We also had a great turn out for the Luau! Thanks to Debbie Christensen and Kathy Nomura for their hard work in preparing for this time of fellowship.
Blessings as you prepare for the coming Sabbath!
In His Service,