Dear Church Family,
I wanted to share the following links to these six messages from Pastor David Shin. I have found them to be very helpful and insightful and worthy of sharing. He shows how foundational the sanctuary message is to avoid deception. Even though his messages may seem a little tedious at times, I encourage you to stay with it and listen carefully as he unveils the presuppositions that exist behind so much of the deceptive teachings that are out there today. Pastor Shin stated, “Don’t judge a theology by its abuse,” and you will see his point as he unpacks these topics. These messages will be most helpful if listened to in
the order in which they were presented.
His messages seem to demonstrate the truthfulness of this statement I read in my devotions this week:
“Search the scriptures.” This is the word which comes to us from Christ. If it had been essential for us to search the [church] Fathers, Christ would have told us so. But the Fathers do not all speak the same thing. Which of them shall we choose as a guide? There is no need for us to trust to uncertainty. We pass by the Fathers to learn of God out of His Word. This is life eternal, to know God. . . .
The commentaries written about the Word do not all agree. Often they come into collision with one another. God does not ask us to be guided by them. UL 52
In the news:
- Pastor Alex will be sharing the morning message with us this Sabbath.
- There will be no fellowship dinner this week. Remember that we are still looking for more group leaders and teams. We have at least one team that was created last week. Here is a link to the letter that was in last week’s bulletin regarding our fellowship dinners. Please contact me or the office if you have an interest in being on a team or have put a team together or would like to be a team leader.
- Ken Matthews will be leading out for AYA this Saturday night at 5:30pm.
- GAA’s Winterfest will be this Saturday night at 6:30pm. Come out for food, games, and a fun evening. Following the Winterfest there will be a Student/Parent/Faculty Volleyball Game. The upper-grade students (7-12) will be playing a volleyball game with their parents, faculty, and pastors Saturday night, February 11th @ 8:00 p.m., at the end of our Winterfest. There will be a small donation admission fee and food for sale. This is a fundraiser
- Pastor Alex & Surrany invited the young adults out for vespers and food Friday night and then had the youth and their parents out on Saturday night for food and games after AYA. They had a nice small group on Friday and 35 came out for Saturday night. We are excited to have Pastor Alex & Surrany here ministering in our church. Here are a couple of pictures from the weekend.
- We only have 14 days left in our 40 days of prayer. It has been such a blessing for those participating. We would invite you to join in when you can as we pray for revival and reformation. We will gather at 7am in the morning. Call (319) 527-9136 Access code: 848709#
- Our Diabetes Undone program began this past Tuesday with a great turnout. 36 have registered for the class and many of those who registered are from the community. Thanks to Rhoda and the health ministries team for putting on this excellent program. Plans are to repeat the program later this year.
- We will be studying Ezekiel 9 this coming Wednesday at 10:30am and 6:30pm.
- Remember that each Tuesday evening, Pastor Alex is conducting a class for those wanting to sharpen their skills in giving Bible studies. We have interests that desire to study if you are interested in giving a study.
- Our English as a Second Language class continues to meet each Thursday at 6:30pm. Their group grew by one last night.
- We will have our church board & finance committee this coming Monday night at the church.
- Pastor Alex is looking to start a small group in the next few weeks for those who are interested in leading small groups. In other words, this is a small group for small group leaders. Contact Pastor Alex for more information.
- Marti Hughes, Alice Hughes daughter sent this request to our office this week and asked that we pass it on: If anyone was at Alice’s home, Thursday the 9th and removed some papers from between the door that is located on the driveway side of the house could they please return them. They are important house papers for the lady who is buying the house. Whoever took those papers replaced them with a multitude of recipes. To contact Marti call 638-4135 Thank you.
- Our Spanish group began holding their worship service in spanish this past Sabbath. Surrany shared their morning message.
- Want to encourage everyone who can to participate in our Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner lunch next Sabbath, Feb 18. Please contact Kathy Nomura immediately if you are interested in participating.
- Wanted to let you know that I will be away next Thursday through the following Tuesday to speak for the Key West camp meeting in Florida. GAA will be sharing next Sabbath for church as the youth speak on the book of Revelation.
Blessings as you prepare for the Sabbath!
In His Service,